Approval is the authorization that the State gives to a pubic or private entity to take part in the domain of metrology (repair, import, strapping tanks, manufacturers of measuring instruments).
Every manufacturer, repairer or importer of measurement instruments belonging to a regulated category has to submit his/her/its identification mark for approval to the Minister in charge of weights and measures. According to the provisions of Decree No. 901/1475 of 9 October 1990 to modify and supplement certain provisions of Decree No.85/1405 of 10 October 1985 to lay down the procedure for controlling measuring instruments, the manufacturer, repairer or importer who wants his/her/its mark to be approved addresses a handwritten and stamped application to the Minister with the following information:
- the name or company name of the applicant;
- the objective of his/her/its company;
- the type of instruments to be manufactured, repaired or imported.
In addition, the manufacturer, repairer or importer must:
- give the exact address of his/her/its workshops, and also make it possible for the authorities in charge of weights and measures to visit the workshops;
- give the personal documents of at least one of the technicians in charge of manufacturing or repairing measuring instruments in the company. The technical and professional qualifications of this technician have to feature in the document.
- The proposed identification mark shall be described in the application and shall be drawn in its natural form, or printed using a hallmark which shall be its stamp. Then it shall be reproduced in a bigger form, if the need arises.
- (11) eleven rectangular plates made of stainless metal of 10 cm long, 7 cm wide and 1 mm thick should be attached to the application, bearing
- on the top of the length, the name or company name, the address of the applicant, the category of instruments to be manufactured, repaired or imported;
- below, the mark duplicated at least twice as will appear if affixed on the measuring instruments especially when typed or engraved.
- The list of materials necessary for manufacturing or repairing measuring instruments.
- Two hallmarks representing the company’s mark.
Furthermore, the identification mark of the manufacturer, repairer or importer cannot be approved if it resembles another mark previously registered or simply known by the Authorities in charge of weights and measures
A visit report is written after visiting the workshop.
Finally, approval is given by the Ministry in charge of weights and measures within two months from the date of application. In case any application for approval is rejected, the repairer, manufacturer or importer must be informed and there must be some explanation for this. An approval may be revoked if the company does not conform to the laws and regulations in force.